How to Flash Openboot Prom from linux
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 8:59 am    Post subject: How to Flash Openboot Prom from linux Reply with quote

Okay, So I get bored, do a little of searching, and discover there is a new Openboot firmware available for my Sun Blade system, OpenBoot 4.6.5.

One problem, I wiped the disk that was in this machine, which had a perfectly bootable Solaris system, which was quite useful in upgrading the Openboot prom once before (4.0 -> 4.5).

So after about 6 hours of screwing around, in trying to get a 9 year old junk harddrive attached to the system (it works, surprise), formatted to Solaris' UFS filesystem, getting it mounted somehow, and dumping the flash prom upgrades on it, I am stuck. OpenBoot refuses to boot the flashupdater tool on this spare harddisk, because it complains about a "bad label". I really don't know any other ways of creating fully bootable solaris drive, in some fashion that'll get OpenBoot to boot the bloody thing, nor do I know if it is possible for this firmware upgrade to get applied via a bootable CD-ROM, or by SILO.

What I do know, is in the kernel configuration, there is a kernel module that creates a device for flash access to the OpenBoot PROM. Problem is, I do not know of anyway to use or access it. Google has very little information as well, the only relevant information I've managed to find is this post on a debian mailing list: http://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2001/debian-sparc-200110/msg00059.html.

The url/software referenced in that mailing list message is non-existant, and I've looked through the kernel.org archive a bit, and didn't turn up anything relevant as well. I figure, if anyone knows where this software is, it might be something highly useful for the sparc/sparc64 group and could/should be added to Portage. And help utterly clueless people like me flash this stupid thing :P

--Kumba
xming
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 9:38 pm    Post subject: worth a try Reply with quote

I do not any tools for Linux but you can always try Solaris bin emu and use the solaris bins

xming
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: