Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Installing KDE (or anything else) trouble
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nmk_

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 6:59 pm    Post subject: Installing KDE (or anything else) trouble Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Pardon the probably stupid question: I have the big iso cd and have tried installing Gentoo using the stage3 archive.

The base system installs correctly. I then wanted to intsall KDE and X but somehow all tries have failed...

The istructions are more than clear:

# export PKGDIR=/mnt/cdrom/gentoo/packages
Normally Portage expects packages to be in /usr/portage/packages

# emerge --usepkg /mnt/cdrom/gentoo/packages/All/kdebase-x.y.z.tbz2
The --usepkg flag makes sure that binary packages are used
for the dependencies (if available).

but this seems to be true for an old dist? On the cd there are only three tbz2 files and the isolinux dir. no gentoo/packages...

All the packages seem to be in /usr/portage!! And there are no tbz2 files there... Exporting another PKGDIR doesn't work either (treid /usr/portage and /usr/portage/packages)...

I always get error message that the needed files could not be downloaded...

Could anyone help me out, please?

Many thanks in advance,
nmk
poormanscomputer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you emerge rsync? Remember to redo your /etc/make.conf for the new rsync changes made recently RSYNC=rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage
I thought my CD would contain the packages as well...but alas I have not seen any ISO with them. You have to download them through emerge kde or you can download them and burn them to a CD....

Let us know how it goes,
poorman
nmk_

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you please post a list the packages that I have to download or at leat the dirs where they are found...

Thanks!
DanRok
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had the same problem like you and found a solution.

this checks which packages the emerge-process of kdebase needs. Write down all files listed and go to http://www.ibiblio.org/gentoo/distfiles/ . There you find all files you need.
#emerge -f kdebase

alternative (this writes the stdout of emerge to neededfiles, simple textfile):
#emerge -f kdebase >> neededfiles

after you've dl all files put them to /usr/portage/distfiles then run:
#emerge -k kdebase

and now wait :D

when its done (on my thunderbird 800 the emerge process tooks 4h to finish) you have kde installed.
terryclough
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 3:39 pm    Post subject: kde 3.0.1 Reply with quote

I have had problems when completing the first emerge kde-base/kde, as it seems that not all of the dependancies are loaded on the mirrors. I was unable to emerge both the qt-copy-3.0.4.1 or the alsa-3.0.1 files. I tried some quick and dirty methods of just deleting the ebuild files causing the problems. Finally I deleted the kde-3.0.1 meta-ebuild file. Now I am emerging the kde-2.2.2-r1 ebuild. I read in this thread KDE 3.0.1 in emerge ?? that the kde 3.01 has not been completely checked out by all the distros and will be available in a couple days. My question is not ment to be an attack but why place ebuilds in the Portage tree that are not completely uploaded to the mirrors? This will cause problems for any one doing a tree refresh with an emerge rsync. Just curious.

After having downloaded a large number of packages required for the kde-3.0.1 and then starting over with the kde-2.2.2-r1, should I do any specific cleaning of files. I tried to do a emerge unemerge kde-base/kde and kde-3.0.1.ebuild and was told that no files needed be removed. Any suggestions? I am concerned that there will be sometype of interference caused by the incomplete download of the newer kde files.

Peace
Terry
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: