Postfix/Courier-IMAP/SquirrelMail suddenly stopped working
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tsigo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 12:59 pm    Post subject: Postfix/Courier-IMAP/SquirrelMail suddenly stopped working Reply with quote

This morning I was messing around with my mail server (Courier-IMAP/Pop3, Postfix, Fetchmail, Procmail, SpamAssassin, SquirrelMail).

I was trying to get it to receive mail for one of my domains instead of having to use easyDNS' mail servers. I had to add a service at port 8025 since my ISP blocks 25. Added the appropriate line to master.cf. I got all of that to work.

When I was in mutt I realized that vcron was sending an e-mail to root@<mailserver> every time it finished a job since I installed Gentoo (which I disabled during this time). It was something like 9300 mails. For some reason I logged into SquirrelMail as root (which took forever, but it worked). Then I logged out.

Went back to Mutt as root and held down "d" for a few minutes to clear out the messages. That was OK. At this point I think I tried to log back into SquirrelMail, no go. So now I'm stuck. It seems to me like a Courier-IMAP problem, since I can't log in through any clients except Mutt on the local machine.

Another weird thing though, when I do telnet host 143, I get the appropriate response. So it seems like just SquirrelMail/Outlook can't make the connection.

When I login through SquirrelMail it hangs trying to get to redirect.php, but loads the login screen correctly.

Setup:
tsinix - Web server (running SquirrelMail)
tsitoo - Mail server (Courier-imapd/courier-pop3d, Postfix)

SquirrelMail Server Settings:
IMAP server - tsitoo
IMAP port - 143
Use Sendmail/SMTP - SMTP
SMTP Server - tsitoo
SMTP Port - 25 (tried 8025, doesn't work either, both are listening)
Auth'd SMTP - false
POP Before SMTP - false

main.cf Settings:
myhostname = tsitoo.domain.org
mydomain = domain.org
myorigin = $mydomain
inet_interfaces = all
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, $mydomain, localhost

I'm really stumped on this one. Working in perfect harmony one minute, not working at all the next.
mglauche
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know about courier, but with normal mail (without maildir) you should be able to stop courier, then delete /var/spool/mail/root (this should be one big file, containing all of root's mail)
tsigo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I realized that like 3/4 through deleting the mail. :)
tsigo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah I knew it was something stupid. Works in Mozilla - which begs the question, what the hell is wrong with IE? Clearing Cache and cookies atm.
mglauche
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, yes .. some *cough* email programms react badly to high volume of email ;)
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was trying to get it to receive mail for one of my domains instead of having to use easyDNS' mail servers. I had to add a service at port 8025 since my ISP blocks 25. Added the appropriate line to master.cf. I got all of that to work.

What line do you add? I would like to do this, as my isp (college) blocks port 25 as well. I have my dns hosted at dyndns, and I read that I can use alternate port for delivering mail / http.

Thanks!
-Andrew
grakker
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick search on google came up with this one about postfix and this one with good general information about what you want to do.[/url]
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On dyndns's help pages it lists this:
Quote:
I want to run a mail server, but my ISP has blocked port 25. Is there anything I can do?
No. Unfortunately, it's not possible to specify in SMTP to send mail to another port, so without an open port 25, you cannot run a mail server unless you have another machine with an open port 25 running a customized mail server to relay the mail through.

And yet the link I followed thru grakker's post says that I can do this, via No-IP's service. I don't wish to pay 40 bucks a year for reflector service and then 29 a year for dns service (via No-IP's services). I would like to use dyndns because of cost. So the link you gave me to no-ip is not a viable option for me.

As for the first link, I do not understand how running smtp over a different port can work. I have tried it, and I now either have postfix crash on startup (because it sees two different ports to run smtp on) or I have lost the ability to send mail ( because postfix is trying to send mail on a non standard port). In the second link, there are 2 other replies, both of which say that this is not possible, and I agree with them after trying the suggestion given at the top.

I can send mail fine, but I cannot receive mail from outside my network. All I need to do is receive mail on a different port, but I don't think this is possible after learning about dns and how ports work. And thus I would need a "reflector" service like No-IP's.

-Andrew
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: