pkgs for a rescue cd
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gerk
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:16 am    Post subject: pkgs for a rescue cd Reply with quote

Hello everyone

Just in the process of gathering together a pkg list for consideration in making the new 1.4 ISO/rescue CD (they will be the same thing). It will be running a live filesystem (styled after the live iso in x86) and we will be able to include many more pkgs than previously (as it does not have to live in your ram anymore).

I would still like to keep it fairly small, but am looking for any suggestions of what you people think are essential for system recovery/rescue usages.

The obvious stuff can be left out (all the major partitioning and formatting/filesystem repair tools will be included).. we're more looking at small pkgs tha may not be obvious to include.

If you can please:
1) read what is already posted in the this thread to avoid duplications
2) post the category and package name (and preferably revision/build you are using)
3) a brief description (if it's not obvious) of the pkg and what it needs to be used for

I would like to wrap up this list by end of weekend if possible and get started on building the CD.

Thanks everyone, and happy Gentoo'ing

:wink:

Last edited by Gerk on Mon Nov 04, 2002 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
bahkyp
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going from the 1.2 disk.

Lynx

Because:
1 its small, terminal based www browser (you could set it to go to the documents page) Reading why things broke is always useful (if you can find why)
2 is needed by me because we have a perl based firewall that needs to be logged onto rather than a proxy.(it requires machineIP, usr, passwd)

PS you can ignore 2 as a reason. I get around this by using another computer on the network to logon my machine to the firewall.
BlueShift
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

partition image (partimage; www.partimage.org) would be nice to have. Unfortunately there seems to be no ebuild for it so it's probably too much to ask.
It's a tool to make/restore an image of a partition. unlike 'dd' it only copies used space of the partition so the images can be quite small.
it's been available for ppc only recently (and I must say I haven't used it on ppc) I only discovered it this weekend and it already saved my ... on x86 yesterday so I think it's definately worth having.
I would like it on the Gentoo CD because that CD is alreday quite versatile and it would allow me to mount an NFS drive and copy the image straight over the network.
Sorry I 'm so late, I only saw your post today.

Greetings,
itoito
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. a compiled kernel module for the airport card so you can enable it.
2. the wireless tools.
in case you only have wireless access to the network, this will help.

3. nmap
you might want to give the network a quick scan: "what was the ip of the fileserver again? nmap 192.168.0.1-255 " and you've got your answer, or you might just want to take a rescue-cd with you "incase there's one of those weird networking problems" with that windows/macos-only network at your uncle's company and they ask you to find out what the problem is.
ernstp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NcFTP

and

links

and Angband with only NCurses support for all the slow compiles? :-) (really small, no deps except NCurses)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: