View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dpowers
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 12:17 am    Post subject: POOF! Gnome2 panels just disappear. Reply with quote

Ok, now it's happened to me twice. I have two panels on my multi-monitor setup. One panel at the bottom is basically just used for applications I have opened (i.e. I can minimize the app to the panel). My top panel is my Applications Actions panel, along with a whole bunch of customizations I made to it (like adding Stock ticker and Weather report, wicked cool btw).

Life would be dandy if this always worked properly. Sadly however, this is not the case. It all started the other day when my bottom panel decided it didn't want to exist any more. It just disappeared, for no reason I could tell. Fine, I just re-created it.

Hours and hours went by into what seemed like days. Then I started up dctc for some good P2P action, and POOF! Top panel bye bye. I had to recreate it from scratch again to get it back.

Anyone experience this?
Schmolch
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my panel also disappeared 3 or 4 times and i had to redo it from scratch.
Im not sure but i think its a known bug.
ronmon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had this problem with Gnome2, but it used to happen to me frequently with 1.4.x versions. Though I never figured out what was crashing my panels, I did find a way to avoid reconfiguring them.

Periodically, or after making any significant changes to my panel configs, I backed up the ~/.gnome/panel.d directory (now ~/.gnome2/panel2.d). Dump the one that got hosed and cp -R the backup to panel2.d.

It saves having to start from scratch.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: