View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garrontmo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 5:23 am    Post subject: Themes in Gnome Reply with quote

I'm trying to install GTK themes in gnome through the control center. I click "install new theme" and it installs and when I select it it doesnt appear as its supposed to. For example the Aqua and Mozilla-Modern themes look just like the default theme (almost). What do I need to do to get this working?

Thanks,
Garron
Target
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know how those theme screenshots have big impressive backgrounds to go with the themes? They aren't a part of the theme. Gtk themes just cover your window borders, scrollbars, buttons, etc... and only in your gtk applications. qt or mosix apps will be unaffected save for the gnome-controlled window borders and scrollbars (if you're running gnome).

Some themes thoughtfully come with the backgrounds. You just need to go find them in /usr/share or ~/.gtk/themes (sic?) and select them as your workspace background in control-center.

I like to grab gtk and qt (kde) themes that look like they'll mesh well together, then apply them both so that all the apps I use are themed.
Mozilla handles its own themes, so I deal with that next. Finally, I set up a background or four depending on my preference and how I want each of my workspaces to look.
garrontmo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 8:16 am    Post subject: Themes Reply with quote

I realize that the background doesnt work and I realize that it will only apply to gnome apps. There should be a signficant change in the scroll bars and buttons for a mac theme though, and there aren't. Themes like mozilla-modern and others dont do what they did when I was using mandrake. The sawfish themes work just fine, just not the gtk themes
Target
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see sawfish themes over at themes.org, but no gtk themes... If you're installing these same sawfish themes as gtk themes, they won't work.

Also, themes.org seems to be having trouble. All their theme downloads are empty, 0-byte .tar.gz files.

Have you tried copying and installing the sawfish and gtk themes off your mandrake CDs?
rachaef
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the new version of themes.org isn't finished yet, take a look at this:

http://gtk.classic.themes.org/

rachaef
garrontmo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 4:11 pm    Post subject: Themes Reply with quote

That is where I got some of my themes from. They dont work for me.
garrontmo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 3:28 am    Post subject: I still cant get themes working Reply with quote

I still havent been able to get themes working in gnome. When I install them, they do isntall and I do get a different theme. It looks very slightly similar to the theme I am attempting to install, but it doesnt look like it should. I'm trying to install various mac looking themes downloaded from different sites and none of them work.

Thanks,
Garron
tgnb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 4:22 am    Post subject: same problem Reply with quote

i have the same problem. i tried manually installing gtk themes as well as using the install theme button. It seems like only the colors and fonts change.
garrontmo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 7:05 am    Post subject: I got it working Reply with quote

I finally got themes working. All you have to do is "emerge gtk-engines" and it should work.

Garron
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: