-O3 in make.defaults?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 5:22 am    Post subject: -O3 in make.defaults? Reply with quote

As I understand it, -O3 is considered unstable for some PPC CPUs at this point. Wouldn't it therefore make sense to drop -O3 to -O2 in make.defaults, or am I missing something? binutils is still being compiled with -O3 during my bootstrap despite my best efforts to prevent this, and I would like to eliminate this as a potential source of instability before I try more drastic measures, such as putting my TiBook in the freezer during long compiles.
Bobbus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: -O3 in make.defaults? Reply with quote

rac wrote:
binutils is still being compiled with -O3 during my bootstrap despite my best efforts to prevent this, and I would like to eliminate this as a potential source of instability before I try more drastic measures, such as putting my TiBook in the freezer during long compiles.

I have the same problems with Mozilla. During compilation, I could see the -O3 flags after my -O2, and I had many errors (FATAL : couldn't find....) but eventually mozilla was built and it is, as far as I tested it, working.

But switching to -O2 flags in the make.defaults definitely make sense to me.

Bob
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, after four failed bootstraps that all died in various places, and looked very hardware-y, after I edited /etc/make.defaults to drop to -O2, the bootstrap script has completed successfully and I did not have to put my PowerBook in the freezer. I do not want the number 3 anywhere near the letter O on this machine for a while.
ernstp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I had another problem.. I want O3! Works perfectly for me!
But when you edit your make.conf with 03 and make a bootstrap, it replaces O3 with O2 so you have to quickly go back and edit it from another vc during the bootstrap!
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ernstp wrote:
But when you edit your make.conf with 03 and make a bootstrap, it replaces O3 with O2

That's what I was hoping it would do. :D

make.conf is largely ignored during the bootstrap process. If you want to change the settings used during bootstrap, make.defaults is the file you must edit.
Gerk
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys

2 things

make.conf is _not_ ognored during bootstrap.sh... it is read, sourced, approriate variables are exported for the builds (as in whatever was in there before you launched bootstrap). It is moved to make.conf.build, then after the bootstrap it is moved back. This has to be done as you cannot CONFIG_PROTECT your stuff during bootstrap, and this way it preserves your settings.

Also, fwiw the -O3 has all been removed from all the appropriate conf files, emerge rsync ; emerge -u world and check you don't have any /etc stuff to update ;)
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerk wrote:
make.conf is _not_ ognored during bootstrap.sh

The way you described it was how I thought it should work, but then why was my -O2 in make.conf unable to override the -O3 in make.defaults during the bootstrap?
Gerk
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the ebuild in question, sadly not all of them comply to our suggested CFLAGS but instaed set their own.

Also worth noting, if you manually stop (contrl+c) your bootstrap.sh, the script does _not_ get replaced again. So if you started the bootsrap, stopped it, and started again you could have potentially gotten the newer copy of make.conf.

But alas, these changes have been fixed now, and there shold be no -O3 left anywhere for next rc release.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerk wrote:
It depends on the ebuild in question

binutils was the one that was killing me.
Quote:
So if you started the bootsrap, stopped it, and started again you could have potentially gotten the newer copy of make.conf.

I copied /etc/make.conf from my running GCC 3.1 installation that was hosting the 1.4rc1 each time it failed. The only thing that worked for me was editing make.defaults by hand after emerge sync. Of course, you have mooted most of this discussion by fixing make.defaults, and thanks for that.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: