Problem unmerging
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
m33sb3w
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 12:14 pm    Post subject: Problem unmerging Reply with quote

I'm having problems unmerging a few packages. I type 'emerge unmerge <package>' but it says it can't find any installed packages by that name. I try again with the full package and version number with the same effect. When I use 'epm -q <package>' it pops right up as being installed. I've tried this with two different packages. In the past I've been able to unmerge stuff. Any ideas?
ElCondor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem unmerging Reply with quote

m33sb3w wrote:
I'm having problems unmerging a few packages. I type 'emerge unmerge <package>' but it says it can't find any installed packages by that name. [....] Any ideas?

yup. :)

emerge unmerge --all undesiredpackage

but be carefull, --all really removes the package. unmerge itself only does is there are different versions. if you want to get rid of gentoo, you might try "emerge unmerge --all system" :twisted:
tod
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 2:41 pm    Post subject: Use low level ebuild commond Reply with quote

Hi!

The fail-safe way to unmerge a package is to use the low level ebuild command, i.e.

#ebuild /var/db/pkg/<category>/<foo>/foo.ebuild unmerge

Pointing the ebuild...unmerge to the ebuild stored in /var/db/pkg is espescially usefull when an old installed ebuild has been removed from the portage tree.

hth,

tod
freefall
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you by any chance using portage 1.8.18? I ran into some problems unmerging apps with that version. I had to do something similar to what tod suggests.

Solved it by upgrading to 1.8.19.
gaskill
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem unmerging packages. I solved it by using the full path, i.e.:

Code:
emerge unmerge /var/db/pkg/app-editors/vim-6.1-r3

to unmerge vim (I wouldn't actually do that, of course). Using the full path seemed to fix my problems.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: