Dial into gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
correctclick
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 4:35 pm    Post subject: Dial into gentoo Reply with quote

Hi. When I travel, I use my laptop, running linux, to dial into my ISP. I recently got a cable modem connection, and I'd like to unsubscribe from my dialup ISP. What I would like to do is when I travel, dial into my gentoo box at home, and use my cable connection through the dialup to access the internet from my laptop. (i.e. laptop -> dialup connection -> gentoo box -> cable connection) I need a program that will accept a modem connection and forward everything to the cable connection.

Is this really difficult? Does anyone know how I could do this?

Thanks in advance,

Tim
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually did this, under Redhat, though. I used to have SDSL at home, and had an external modem. I managed to rig my modem to answer on the 6th phone ring, it'd link up, setup a connection, and IP Chains (I was running a 2.2x kernel back then) would re-map my MASQ policies to make the dialed-in machine look like part of the local network (it assigned it a 192.168.0.x address). I do believe there is a "Dial-In" HOW-TO lying around. Check on Linuxdocs.org and other HOW-TO sites for it.

--Kumba
correctclick
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. How did you get your modem to answer after 6 rings? I've searched linux doc, there's plenty of stuff for general modems, but nothing specific to what I'm trying to do. I'll keep looking.

Thanks again.
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think -- but I am not sure -- That I used a specific *getty program, mgetty I think, or maybe it was called mingetty. It had to be started up in init's config, and it sat and listened on a serial port, which my external modem was connected too. One of the various options it supported was to answer on a specific number of rings. The modem I used is a Zoom 56K Dual-Fax modem, supporting the V.90 standard (Haven't upgraded to the V.92 version of this modem).

// Edit
Actually, here you go, a HOW-TO Guide on a Linux Dial-In Server.
http://www.swcp.com/~jgentry/pers.html

--Kumba
correctclick
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I'll get to work.

- Tim
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: