backup question... /dev or no /dev?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wallace1819
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: backup question... /dev or no /dev? Reply with quote

when I use tar to make a full system backup should I include /dev or is all that stuff created by devfs at boot?

wally
bone
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to include /dev. Those are all device files that are specific to each system. For the most part, if you are reinstalling on the same system, it will have everything you need.
ozonator
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the output of the 'mount' command; if there's a devfs file system mounted on /dev, it's indeed being created and managed entirely by devfsd, and there's no need to back it up. Same with /proc and (with 2.6.x) /sys -- their contents are created 'on the fly' by the kernel.

One note: if you want an exact copy of your whole system, make sure the /dev mount point exists in your copy (same with /proc and /sys).

And a tip: with both cp and rsync, the -x option restricts the operation to one file system. Depending on how you're doing those backups, that can be handy, e.g., so that the cp/rsync operation skips /dev, /proc, /sys, since they're different filesystems from the root (/) filesystem.
bone
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great eleboration Ozonator.

One question... What are you all using for a backup software/package?
tam1138
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bone wrote:

I haven't found one that does exactly what I want so I'm writing my own. Feel free to contribute to the list of requirements:

http://tam.hiddenrock.com/projects/colossus/requirements.php
ozonator
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bone wrote:

These days, with cheap, spacious HDs and fast network connections, I tend to rsync stuff to a big drive. My main box at home has a 40 GB HD as the main boot device; it also has a 120 GB drive -- I use rsync to mirror the content of the partitions on the 40 GB drive to identical partitions on the 120; I also have a partition on the 120 GB drive for a mirror of the content of another machine, and for important things from my laptop. (Leftover space is for ogg files! :) )

As for the backup process itself, it's a simple script that is essentially "mount /mirror/<target>; <rsync various things>; umount /mirror/<target>", which is run by cron. Seems to work nicely -- it's automatic (i.e., I don't need to remember), and and I've got immediately usable copies of all my important files, which I can access with any OS that can read an ext2/3 partition (just in case, keep a Gentoo live CD or a System Rescue CD handy).

Of course, this doesn't cover having an archival backup (a 'snapshot' of your files), nor does it move anything offsite (assuming you don't have a remote machine you can rsync to, and a fast net connection to it); it only protects against hardware failure. So, I also burn irreplaceable stuff to CDs periodically (usually tar.bz2 files unless it's already compressed, like music or photos).
davidblewett
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use rdiff-backup. It uses rsync as the protocol, but adds the ability to do differential backups so that you can restore from a certain point in time. For example, if something gets hosed and you unknowingly run your backup, now that backup is hosed as well. With rdiff-backup, you can restore from a known good point in time.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: