Apache Hair Puller!!!!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
friedmud
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 6:09 pm    Post subject: Apache Hair Puller!!!! Reply with quote

What the heck is the deal??? I had apache up and running on my previous install of gentoo - but now it just refuses to work.

Here is what I try:

Code:

friedmud etc # apachectl start
/usr/sbin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started

No errors in the error log- no nothing, it just refuses to start. I don't have anything else merged (that has to do with apache). I am just trying to run plain vanilla apache here. I haven't edited the config file at all.

If anyone has a clue I would really appreciate it! I need this box to go up NOW!

Thanks!

Derek

EDIT: Some more info:
I have tried unmerging and remerging. I have tried starting apache through /usr/sbin/apache (same result). I have added it to the default runlevel and rebooted (just didn't start). I have tried EVERYTHING I can think of.

I am running a 1.1a system that is newly installed.

Thanks again!
ElCondor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Apache Hair Puller!!!! Reply with quote

friedmud wrote:

No errors in the error log- no nothing, it just refuses to start. I don't have anything else merged (that has to do with apache). I am just trying to run plain vanilla apache here. I haven't edited the config file at all.

without knowing the rest of your system: generally it helps editing the config file ;) maybe it's just a path missing. apache is sometimes a little stingy with it's error messages. try at least a
Code:
apachectl configtest
to be sure, the config is clean!

hth

* ElCondor pasa *
friedmud
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply....

I forgot to mention in my first post that I had tried a configtest -> and it says everything is fine :-(

I looked through the config file - but everything seems in order. I am really bummed but I don't have any more time to spend on it today :-(

If you have any more ideas let me know.

Derek
ravnx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly there is an old pidfile that didnt get killed ex: "/var/run/apache.pid" <-- that file should NOT exist if apache is not running.

also, you said the logs are clean. you've checked both "/var/log/apache/error_log" and "/var/log/messages" right? You should at least see something like the following in your "/var/log/apache/error_log"

apachectl start :
[Mon May 13 16:55:02 2002] [notice] Apache/1.3.24 (Unix) configured -- resuming normal operations
[Mon May 13 16:55:02 2002] [notice] suEXEC mechanism enabled (wrapper: /usr/sbin/suexec)
[Mon May 13 16:55:02 2002] [notice] Accept mutex: sysvsem (Default: sysvsem)

apachectl stop :
[Mon May 13 16:55:05 2002] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down[/b]
friedmud
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After fiddling with it for a little while I am finally getting this in my error_log:

[Sat May 11 17:43:30 2002] [alert] mod_unique_id: unable to gethostbyname("friedmud.umr.edu")

It is because friedmud.umr.edu isn't really my hostname - but I really don't have a hostname anyway (just an ip and a really long DHCP assigned "hostname"). I have it set for servername=localhost though so I don't know why it cares.

Anyone have a clue? Would this actually keep apache from starting??

Thanks again!

Derek
friedmud
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it!!!

I just commented out the mod_unique_id stuff and it started right up! Interesting....

I've never had this problem before - anyone know another way of doing it besides commenting out that module??

Thanks!

Derek
handsomepete
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might just be able to comment out the ServerName/BindAddress directives. I've never been entirely sure what ServerName does (sends a name back to the client? Why would that need to be done (i.e. enter IP returns a name to client maybe?)). What does the unique_id module do?
SkuTheSnake
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 10:53 am    Post subject: i have the same problem :/ Reply with quote

i think that this problem comes with some router etc without a dhcp/dns server. i made some tests
--> if you give the gentoo a static ip then you get the error like above and you can solve it this way /etc/hosts set an entry like
192.168.6.3 Gentoo --> ip = ip of your gentoo machine 'gentoo' should be the name of your domain i.e. 'friedmud.umr.edu# like above

myself used the fli4l router without dhcp but dns and get the same error message. If connectet directly with the inet i didnt get an error 8O
the gethostbyname routine couldnt resolv a name in intranet without an dns server (my opinion) :) and the router itself resolves only ip´s from the internet but not from my intranet (firewall of port_masq on)
scarr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!!!!!!

This was a hair puller for me as well. Didn't think to setup the hostname under hosts. That fixed it.

Thanks again.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: