Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
nvidia-kernel broken with linux-2.6.15-gentoo-r1 ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gnychis
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: nvidia-kernel broken with linux-2.6.15-gentoo-r1 ? Reply with quote

Hi,

I recently emerged the new gentoo sources with linux-2.6.15-gentoo-r1, before this I was using (and am now using until this is fixed), linux-2.6.14-gentoo-r5

Whenever i built the 2.6.15 kernel, i emerged nvidia-kernel again, and then I rebooted

when I executed "startx", my screen froze on a black screen, however ctrl+alt+del rebooted my computer safely, so it was still responsive

I did not see the NVIDIA logo as you usually do when you startx, all i got was the blank screen

Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks!
George
EEPS
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem here. Tried using the drivers from nvidia.com as well, but I can't even get X to start with those. Someting must have changed in 2.6.15.
Drunkula
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd. I'm not having an issue with mine. I have an FX5700 card if that makes any difference.
gnychis
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm...

i have a 6800gt, i have no clue if it makes a difference too... i think it wouldn't make a difference, maybe we can all give system specs to find a common denominator

Pentium 4, socket 478, HT 3.0ghz
1gb of mem
Abit ic7-max3 board
software raid 0
leadtek 6800gt
viniciusferrao
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange, i get this continuously...

Sometimes X loads other times no...

Monitor get blank screen and let indicates no signal =/
Ctrl+alt+del dont work, only reset to reboot :(

GF 6800GS PCI-Ex here
Lasker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just running into the same problem, as already posted here:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-426443.html
I thought I'm the only one and it could have something to do with my outdated nvidia drivers
or I might have made a mistake, but now I think it's better to participate here in this thread.
Btw, 'make mrproper' didn't solve it. I also saw that during a fresh installation of the nvidia drivers
NVmakedevices was executed, but didn't do anything: still no nvidia nodes in /dev. When executing
NVmakedevices by hand, the nodes are created but startx then always leads to a black screen (as
already described in my original post).

For the records, I'm using nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5 and nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r6 which are still running
fine with my old 2.6.12-gentoo-r9 sources.

With both kernels the nvidia module is loaded but looks different, (both are from the the same version!):

Code:
# lsmod  grep nvidia)

with 2.6.12-gentoo-r9:
nvidia     3461084   12

with 2.6.15-gentoo-r1:
nvidia     3460476   0

As a sidenote, X with the generic nv-driver works.

EDIT
I've completely different system specs and thus I don't believe the problem is hardware related.

Last edited by Lasker on Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drunkula wrote:
Odd. I'm not having an issue with mine. I have an FX5700 card if that makes any difference.

Ditto with a FX5900
olger901
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

viniciusferrao wrote:
Strange, i get this continuously...

Sometimes X loads other times no...

Monitor get blank screen and let indicates no signal =/
Ctrl+alt+del dont work, only reset to reboot :(

GF 6800GS PCI-Ex here

This sounds typically like a problem I had a while back on my old machine, and found out, my PSU was too weak, what PSU (Power Supply Unit) do you have and how many watts is it?
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a friend from german channel had also probs with his GF, while i didn't have any with my FX.

he tried all versions of the driver available in portage, and found out that nvidia-kernel-1.0.7676-r1 works well, while none of the others does.

So for those of you running a GF, try that version.
Appleonkel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
after many Crashs it works for me on 2.6.15 :D but only with version =1.0.7676-r1
Code:
lspci | grep VGA
0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 420 Go] (rev a3)

Appleonkel
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, there he is :P :)

moo Appleonkel, hehe! (can't delete my post anymore)
Lasker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's most likely something wrong with this new kernel and nothing else.
To verify, I just installed the last available sources from the 2.6.14 series (2.6.14-gentoo-r5)
with the original config file I've used for compiling the 2.6.15 kernel and this still works with
my older nvidia drivers. I had some issues with the /dev/nvidia nodes not being created, but
at least NVmakedevices.sh did work here. I had to change the entry in /etc/conf.d/rc
RC_DEVICE_TARBALL to "yes" to solve this.

Someone told me that the 2.6.15 kernels won't work with older nvidia drivers anymore. On the
long run this would mean you'll need to upgrade to the newest hardware in the future if you want
use the latest kernel. I can't believe it! Is this acceptable? I still want believe it's just a bug...
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

in case of proprietary drivers: it's _never_ the kernel which is buggy. it's the driver which is broken for that new kernel.

the kernel devs don't give a *moo* about proprietary drivers, so they don't care if they break it with every new release. and if nvidia drops support for older cards in new drivers, well, ..blame nvidia.
see matrox: they have their linux drivers IN the kernel, and i never heard that a matrox card stoppend working by a major kernel version upgrade.

hard matter of fact that is
gnychis
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will be very dissapointed if nvidia drops support on GF cards in the nvidia kernel and me not being able to upgrade my kernel

nice found on a working nvidia-kernel version with the 2.6.15 kernel

lets keep this alive and maybe we should post a bug report somewhere?
freddyk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there!

I had the same problem with 2.6.15 and a FX 5200 card. With the ~x86 version of nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx (1.0.8178-r3) everything is working fine.

Cheers,
Markus
noergeli
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if this might help on this topic, but it might explain some of the different experiences with this nvidia stuff that users have.

Some weeks ago i got an old GF4 mx460 , a Medion card from a discount-pc.
I experienced some Problems, that can be found in several forum threads:

1. 6629 driver did work nice, but the 7xxx drivers i tried resulted in hardlocks at boot, only hint i found in logs was a kernel panic.
When i tried the first 8xxx driver it didn't hardlock anymore, but the screen stayed black and the only possible input has been strg+alt+del to reboot.

2. Vesa-fb support broke with kernel 2.6.13 or 2.6.14. I used to boot with grub-option "vga=794", suddenly my boot screen stayed black until the start of X. This problem is not related to nvidia-drivers.

3. I'm running a rarely used win-partition and even on installing the latest forceware-drivers windows totally crashed ending up in a reboot. Older nvidia win-drivers did work allright.

I recently run the MSI LiveUpdate win-utility to look for updates/drivers for my MB, and it recognized my Medion Card, that is manufactured by MSI as a MSI-card and offered a vga-bios update to me. Not much to loose i ran this update and that really solved all of the problems mentioned above.
I'm now running kernel 2.6.15 and nvidias 8178 drivers, and didn't have a single problem until now. It's weird, but it's true.

Though i don't think this occurs to all problems with nvidia-cards, it seems that some problems are really related to buggy firmware.
joev
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Quadro FX 330 also broken. Reply with quote

=nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5 also does not work (for me) with =gentoo-sources-2.6.15-r1

Code:

$ lspci | grep VGA
05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV37GL [Quadro FX 330/Quadro NVS280] (rev a2)
Lasker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gimpel wrote:
Quote:

in case of proprietary drivers: it's _never_ the kernel which is buggy. it's the driver which is broken
for that new kernel.
hard matter of fact that is

Another hard matter of fact is that proprietary drivers are a common desease. A big problem if the
manufacturer don't care, but too common to just be ignored. Quite another story is building a new
kernel that changes some basic mechanics and thus forcing a whole lot of new drivers to be created
or overhauled. That's most questionably to say the least.

But I still guess it's widely a matter of gentoo-sources-2.6.15-r1 being a pretty fresh thing and a lot
of commonly used patches are just not build in yet...
brazzmonkey
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried the latest 88xx drivers ? also you might have to add an option (which i can't remember atm, i'm at work - i may check tonite if you want) in your xorg.conf, because there seems to be a refresh rate issue with those drivers and some cards.
gnychis
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have not tried those drivers yet

where can we submit a bug report? Do we submit to nvidia hoping they will care? Or do submit a kernel bug support? Certainly we can do both...
JerMe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you guys tried:
Code:
/sbin/NVmakedevices.sh

It seems to be hit or miss around the forums, but that's how I got my MX400 to work with the 2.6.15 kernel without using ~x86 drivers. I forget whether I ran the .sh script before or after the emerge nvidia-kernel nvidia-glx, you'll have to try whatever works for you.

Just for safe measure, try this (99.9% from http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/nvidia-guide.xml):

*make sure symlink to kernel is correct, then recompile kernel with appropriate settings for nvidia, cp bzImage and reboot (recompile anyways, just in case)
*(don't enter X yet, stay in commandline...) emerge nvidia-kernel nvidia-glx
*(don't remember where /sbin/NVmakedevices.sh belongs in this order, try running it now)
*edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf, make sure glx extension gets loaded, that you're using the "nvidia" driver and not "nv" driver, and that your default depth is 16 or 24
*run "opengl-update nvidia"
*startx, then "glxinfo|grep direct" and see if you have direct rendering working. Then try out glxgears.

You may have to turn off DRM in the character devices section of the kernel config. I had to do that with my ATI cards, and in fact I did it with this old MX400, but I'm not sure if it's required. Hope this helps.
Lasker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnychis wrote:

where can we submit a bug report? Do we submit to nvidia hoping they will care?
Or do submit a kernel bug support? Certainly we can do both...

The nvidia forums also seem a good place. Unlike in the gentoo forums, my first impression was that the
nvidia-devs seem very well taking care about what's going on there. How about you submit bug-reports
(probably both) and I'll post on the nvidia forum, also asking about the promised support of the so-called
'legacy' drivers?
Lasker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerMe wrote:
have you guys tried:
Code:
/sbin/NVmakedevices.sh

Read here:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-426443.html
Doesn't work in the case of nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5: though the devices would be created correctly,
using them (via reboot or startx makes no difference) would hang your system terribly.
Btw, NVmakedevices.sh is also called by the nvidia-kernel ebuild but didn't do anything. Only when
executed by hand (in my case at least). I had to do this with my current 2.6.14-gentoo-r5 sources and
nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5.
joev
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Quadro FX 330 also broken. Reply with quote

joev wrote:
=nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5 also does not work (for me) with =gentoo-sources-2.6.15-r1

Code:

$ lspci | grep VGA
05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV37GL [Quadro FX 330/Quadro NVS280] (rev a2)

Strangely enough, this works for me now, without changes.
gnychis
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Quadro FX 330 also broken. Reply with quote

joev wrote:
joev wrote:

Code:

$ lspci | grep VGA

Strangely enough, this works for me now, without changes.

something all the sudden just started working for you?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: